Tuesday, March 02, 2004

Margaret Harkins McNelis
1908 - 2004


This afternoon, my maternal grandmother died. She was the only grandparent I ever knew. I remember her more than my mother as a child. My brothers and I were all born one after the other (in the Irish Catholic tradition) So, my mom was busy as I was the oldest. My grandmother spent lots of time with me. I remember many things about her. We would play cards for hours. She told the most amazing stories. One of my favorites were her tales of living in the Essex House in NYC. She had a aqua and black plaid stove. She and my grandfather hob-nobbed with the stars of stage and screen (my grandfather was in publishing, New Movie Magazine was one of his most popular. Sometimes I post a cover on my Fotolog) anyway...she was a great person, incredibly imaginative and beautiful

She lived a long and not always so easy life. Towards the end she really barely remembered who we were, but eventually it came back to her. 95 years is a pretty long time to live. Farewell, Nanny.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter