Tuesday, July 27, 2004

All About Falafel IV

Today I continued my Falafel tour in Greenwich Village dragging Raj and William along. Of course the first stop had to be Mamouns_Falafel on MacDougal St. It was swarming with patrons, this tiny hole in the wall. Sweaty men stuffed pitas full of gorgeous green falafel. There was a mountain of lamb roasting behind them ripe for shaving to prepare the other dish...Swarma-something.

Anyway, I ordered Falafel with Hommus (I like to spell it Hummus, but they spell with an "O" and who am I to correct them?) I ordered extra hot sauce on the side and a cup of lentil soup (all vegetarian). This meal was the best bargain yet at $4.50

After carting it back to our office on Broadway, I opened the foil to reveal, much to my chagrin, most of the hommus had leaked out all over the pita. It was a messy dish, albeit, delish. I still say Pita Pan Cafe was better. The lentil soup was satisfying, although all pureed. Normally, I like a bit of whole dal in my soup.

Please note: The hot sauce at Mamouns in nothing to shake a stick at. It is without a shadow of a doubt the HOTTEST condiment on the planet.

Next Falafel review:
Ali Baba also on MacDougal St.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter