Tuesday, January 13, 2004

This morning I woke to "Nessum Dorma" an aria from the
Giamcomo_Puccini Opera, "Turandot" Below is the story of Turandot...for today's addition of my musical college of knowlege...enjoy! Last night I learned a lot of things, thought about things that I had not considered, the ramifications of my life thus far and honestly facing who I am now. I felt badly as if, "who would want me?" But then again...who wouldn't? All my life I've come from a place of Love. I cannot recall an evil motivation for any actions. The worst emotion was probably jealousy...back in the day. I've learned hard lessons on trust, who to trust...and who NOT to trust. One thing I know now is what I want...and what is unacceptable. This is all good. Life is beautiful and exciting...I love everyday.

Turandot, the title role, is the name of an icy princess who because of the tumultuous past of her ancestress, developed a Freudian fear of men who wish to win her love. With the reluctant agreement of her father, the Emperor, she announced publicly that whoever wishes to win her hand in marriage has to answer three riddles, failng which they will lose their head. Through this arrangement, many princes who had dared to make the bid had lost their lives in the gambit. It turns out that an unknown prince, Calaf, succeeds in answering her three riddles and in an act of generosity and love offers Turandot a chance to discover his name. If she succeeds by daybreak, he will willingly die. As it goes, the Princess orders that the entire country shall not sleep till the name of the prince is found; while the prince confidently muses on the words of the princess "None shall sleep" in the famous aria "Nessun dorma".

In a fateful turn of events, a servant girl Liu, who is in love with the Prince, is secretly caught and questioned by the Princess. Pronouncing her love for the Prince, she laments the paradox that should she reveal the Prince’s name, she would lose her love to the Princess by his death; on the other hand, should she keep quiet, she would lose her love to the Princess by their marriage. Caught in this difficult dilemma and tortured by the Princess’ men, she commits suicide to the surprise of the Princess, after expressing that her strength comes from Love.

Prince Calaf reproaches Turandot for her cruelty and then despite her horrified protests, he tears away her veil and kisses her forcibly. Shaken by the events and her resolution dissolving under the power of Calaf’s confidence, she admits that she had both loved and feared him since she first saw him. As dawn breaks, Prince Calaf reveals his name to the Princess and thus puts him in her power.

At dawn however, when Turandot and Calaf appears before the Emperor, she declares that the name of the stranger is Love.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter